Off-Piste uses food as a force for good as we build resilient and equitable food systems which can feed the world’s population by creating innovative plant-based meats.
We are a fast-moving FoodTech start-up and impact venture with global ambitions and the skills to match. From the founding team to our investors, Off-Piste is stacked with talent that all have a proven track record of delivering results that few others in the space have achieved.
Currently operating out of The Foodbowl in Auckland, Off-Piste is in the process of setting up its own plant.
Our working environment is fun, dynamic, and professional in an exciting growth sector with global export ambitions. Working for Off-Piste means being part of a special impact venture focused on playing our part in the solution to climate change.
HOW WE ROLL
Our purpose: A thriving planet for all
‘How We Roll’ represents our way of life at OFF-PISTE and is core to our beliefs and behaviours we value most in our people and culture.
Constructive criticism. Honesty is the best policy. We own our mistakes
Te Rehutai / Shake the boat
If it ain’t shaking we ain’t pushing fast enough Done not perfect / bring solutions NOT problems. We prioritise Health and safety – CREW, Food safety AND quality – CUSTOMER, Operations - IMPACT
Take care of OPP people
Teamwork makes the dream work. Helping each other out even if it’s not your department. Showing appreciation. Good communication throughout the team.
Prepared for out of bounds
If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail. Measure twice and cut once.
Hauora / Develop yourself
Good crew good product, Self-development helps enhance strengths and improves wellness. Product first leaders have a strong, clearly communicated vision.
Work hard, play hard. GRIT
Do the mahi and get the treats. Work hard to achieve your goals. Grit in seeing things through
Food Process Operator
We now have an exciting opportunity for a Machine Operator - Extruder Lead to join our team.
This role is a key member of the OFF-PISTE team, and the successful candidate will lead our extrusion team, on the cutting edge of meat texture development from plant proteins. By following best practise machine operation and applying food science skills, continually improving the product range.
The role goal is to drive customer experience through effective Product Quality, Equipment Maintenance and Production Management.
Product Innovation / Optimisation:
- Focus on Extrusion / Production Process - oversees key projects, processes and performance reports, data and analysis
- Keep abreast of new trends and best practices in the technology landscape
- Work closely with Marketing, Business Development and Operations to define and deliver enhancements
- Collaborate with other managers to formulate objectives and understand requirements
- Devise and review specifications for products or processes
- Devise procedures to inspect and report quality issues
- Monitor extrusion to resolve issues
- Ensure output meets quality standards
- Approve the right products or reject defectives
- Keep accurate documentation and perform statistical analysis
- Solicit feedback from customers/marketing department to assess whether their requirements are met
- Be on the lookout for opportunities for improvement and develop new efficient procedures
- Support CEO and CTO in new product development
- Ensure all equipment is maintained in good operation condition
- Follow adequate cleaning methods
- Look after the screws and electrical connections
- Ensure adherence to health and safety guidelines as well as legal obligations
- Organize workflow to meet specifications and deadlines
- Train and guide employees involved with extrusion
- Collaborate with technicians and other team members and provide guidance and feedback
- Supervise and evaluate performance of extruder personnel (quality inspectors, workers etc.)
- Facilitate proactive solutions by collecting and analysing quality data
- Propose then implement once approved, new technological best practices
- Review current standards and policies
- Keep records of quality reports, statistical reviews and relevant documentation
- Professionally and timely communicate with external quality assurance officers during on-site inspections
- Preparing timely and accurate operational performance reports.
- Employing various initiatives to coach extruder assistants to optimise their capabilities.
- Source, quote, purchase and manage installation of new equipment.
- Assist with other production operations as and where needed
Budgeting and Cost Control:
- Operate according to departmental budgets
- Controlling extrusion costs, and introducing tactical initiatives to improve overall throughputs and yields
- Suggest maintenance work, purchasing of equipment etc.
- Aligning planning and production with sales forecasts
Skills and Experience Required
- Minimum 3 years relevant experience with Extrusion Machinery, could be alternative industries like plastics
- Keep accurate records of WIP product
- Good mechnical knowledge and understanding of sciences from first principals
- Computer literacy and high-level numerical proficiency
- Memory of past, ingredients on hand and weekly plans
- Reliably following the process with Enthusiasm and Passion
Skills and Experience Preferred
- A Tertiary Degree in a relevant field of study E.g. Food Technology
- Experience in regulated food industry
This is the chance to play a major part in the growth of the company, and an opportunity to have a large impact on the sustainability of our future. Come join the team!
To apply for this role, you must already have the right to work in New Zealand.
To apply for this role, please send your CV and a Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.